ADJUSTING THE NEW PROPELZ SPEED PADDLES FOR LENGTH AND PITCH:
1. Start With the left hand half of the paddle, holding it so the paddle blade is vertical. Loosen (unwind) the knurled collar 1 full turn, then slowly unwind a little further until the long thin index line on the collar lines up with the smaller index mark on the top of the boss.
2. Now insert the right hand half of the paddle into the left (a little care may be needed for the first time, thereafter it’s easy to get the halves aligned) and slide the pieces together so there’s a few millimeters of the spigot still exposed.
3. Once the two halves are together firmly hold the left so the blade is vertical and the index marks on the boss and collar are aligned and on top, now rotate the right half of the paddle until the white line along the spigot lines up with the indexes on the left. These all form one line and this becomes the “0” (zero) position with no feathering of the paddle blades.
4. To set the feathering pitch (blade angles) don’t move or tighten the collar; look closely around the right hand edge of the collar either side of the long thin index mark (the “0” position) and you will see angle graduations lightly marked on the plastic. For right handed paddlers rotate the right half of the paddle anticlockwise until the white line on the spigot aligns with the 60° mark – this is the most common position for feathering paddle blades. Left handed paddlers rotate clockwise to the 60° mark for left handed paddlers.
5. To lengthen the paddle simply slide the paddle halves apart the appropriate number of graduations, each represents 1cm. Do not extend further than 10cm.
6. Once you’re happy with the length and feathering pitch (blade angles) the collar can be tightened. This only needs to be hand tight, there’s no need to apply excessive force.
Hint: once you’ve settled on the blade angle you like, use a bright paint pen to put your personalized index mark on the left paddle shaft to align with the white line on the spigot from the right side. Then, to assemble the paddle all you need to do is loosen the collar, align your personal index marks then set the desired length - tighten the collar and you’re ready to paddle.