Here we are using a Viking Nemo kayak to demonstrate how to fit a pair of footrests:
1. Start by marking the center of the seat back with a marker pen; this will become your reference point to ensure the leg lengths will be the same for both the left and right side footrests. It’s worth taking the time to look down the kayak from the front to make sure you have the mark exactly in the center of the seat back (just like the old adage “measure twice cut once”).
2. Position the first footrest 20mm down from, and parallel to the edge of the cockpit. Make sure it is approximately 5-7mm away from touching the forward end of the cockpit, and then use a marker pen to mark the position of the top corner closest to the seat.
3. Now use a piece of cord to transfer this position mark to the other side of the kayak: hold one end of the cord on the mark in the middle of the seat back and stretch the cord tight to the mark you’ve just made – this is the “leg length” to the seat back. Keeping the cord tight without allowing the length to change, move the footrest end to the other side of the cockpit and mark the position for the other footrest 20mm down from the edge of the cockpit. Make sure you don’t let seat back end of the cord move.
4. Position the footrest you started with and carefully screw in place using the self-tapping screws provided. Start at the seat end and work towards the front of the kayak fitting the screws through the holes nearest the tops of any high points or ribs in the cockpit. Make sure the screws are done just tight enough to pull the footrest track to the plastic, don’t over tighten.
5. Once the first footrest is screwed in place move to the second one. Position it to the index mark from step -3 so it’s 20mm down from the cockpit edge. Double check it looks even with the first footrest then fit as per step-4.